Quotable Federer @ The Rogers Cup
By Dave Seminara
After beating Novak Djokovic:
- On his losing career record against Andy Murray (5-6): â€œNot to take anything away from Andy, butÂ there was a time when I think I was coming back from monoâ€¦..Then I played him many times when he had the momentum, really.â€ COMMENT: So, not to take anything away from him, but allow me to subtly take something away from himâ€¦..
- On his relationship with Paul Annacone: â€œItâ€™s very romantic. Look, itâ€™s going OK. I mean, we donâ€™t go to candlelight dinner every night. I have a wife you know? We donâ€™t know if heâ€™s coming to Cincy yet. Weâ€™re debating that. Severin (Luthi) has just arrived in Cincinnati today, so weâ€™re you know looking at the schedule nowâ€¦..Heâ€™s a nice guy. So far itâ€™s been going well, so we will see how it goes tomorrow.â€ COMMENT: Ah, the â€œnice guyâ€ kiss of death. Next thing we know, Fed will be telling him, â€˜itâ€™s not you, itâ€™s me seriously, but Iâ€™d really like to be friends!â€™ This is not exactly a vote of confidence here, is it? So if he beats Andy Murray, Paul gets an immunity idol and moves on to Cincinnati, but if he loses, then Paulâ€™s torch is extinguished and heâ€™s voted off Isle Fed?
- On what he wants to achieve next in the sport: â€œThereâ€™s a ton of stuff Iâ€™d like to achieve, but I donâ€™t have one of these boards, where I need to tick off everything Iâ€™ve doneâ€¦..Now what would I take if I only had one more victory that kind of stuff? I donâ€™t have to answer, you know, because Iâ€™ll get many, many chances throughout the season to prove my point, and itâ€™s at the end of the career where you kind of look, what did I achieve and what did I not achieve?â€ COMMENT: Huh? So itâ€™s basically, I donâ€™t feel like telling?
After beating Tomas Berdych:
- On where he ranks the victory for his career: â€œIt ranks definitely top 100. (laughter) I donâ€™t know if itâ€™s top 50 or not, but donâ€™t forget Iâ€™ve played some amazing matches throughout my career.â€ COMMENT: Granted, it may have been a silly question, but Fedâ€™s response if revealing. Give him points for honesty- I mean, seriously, beating Berdych in a QF in Toronto? Only a complete knuckle-head would rank that as a career highlight for a man many consider to be the GOAT- but did he really have to remind us that heâ€™d played some â€œamazing matches?â€
- On Berdych: â€œI thought he was going to make a move earlier on in his career when he beat me in 2004 at the Athens Olympics. But after that he just became a steady top 30, top 40 player, which was a bit of a surprise to me.â€ COMMENT: Yet another sly dig at Berdych. Fedâ€™s made this comment before as well. Whatâ€™s the point? Yeah, heâ€™s really been underachieving for years now. Very surprising. Must be like nails on a chalkboard for Berdych to have to listen to these kinds of statements.
After beating Llodra:
- On Llodra serving under-handed and asking for Fedâ€™s shirt after the match: â€œItâ€™s the first time I got an underarm serve; third time somebody asked me for my shirt. He said there was no chance to get a round, that he needed one for his kids. So itâ€™s like okay, no problem.â€ COMMENT: Fed lost the under-hand serve point, which reminded everyone of Michael Changâ€™s famous under-hand masterpiece against Lendl at the French in â€™89. Tennis needs more under-hand serving, and players should follow soccer etiquette and ALWAYS exchange shirts after matches. Especially female players. Named Anna Ivanovic.
- On whether Nike decided make both Roger and Rafa Pretty in Pink this week: â€œI think it was a coincidence that weâ€™re both in pink. I didnâ€™t even know he was going to be playing in pink, because we kind of decide the colors we are going to play in probably over a year ahead. I donâ€™t know where my head was when I chose pink, but I like it, you know. Honestly, Iâ€™ve gotten a lot of praise for it.â€ COMMENT: Fedâ€™s pink was different than Rafaâ€™s pink, though. Fedâ€™s was a pale, muted, classic, J-Crew-like pink; whereas Rafaâ€™s pink was the kind of bold, audacious pink that Snooky from Jersey Shore might wear. But Rafa pulled it off. Fed went on to state that heâ€™s going to be wearing something different at the Open this year.