By David Sweet
STANFORD, California – It was a beautiful day for a tennis tournament.Â Â The Bank of the West Classic opened on Monday with weather in the mid 70s and sunny.
None of the top seeds were in action on Monday, but a few were on the practice courts.Â I caught No. 3 seed Jelena Jankovic practicing serve/return drills with No.2 seed Dominika Cibulkova.
The midday session saw some tightly contested doubles matches, where the winners each came from down a set before rallying to victory.Â On one of the side courts, Daniilidou/U Radwanksa d Lee-Waters/Moulton-Levy in three tight sets 6-7 (4), 6-4, 10-2.
Meanwhile on center court, Cirstea/Keothavong d Glatch/Zheng 4-6, 6-4, 10-6.
I was lucky to catch Vania King talking to a group of grade and middle-school children brought to the tournament by local nonprofit Harper for Kids.Â Â She talked about her start in tennis at age 3, and how hard work and goal setting can lead to success.Â She then handed out towels to the children as they left.
In the main night match, Heather Watson defeated rising star Sloane Stephens in a see-saw match riddled with errors from both players.Â It was tough to watch.Â The players traded so many breaks of serve that the crowd was left silent for most of the match.Â Notably, Stephens was having trouble with her backhand and Watsonâ€™s off-paced shots.Â Watson beat Stephens 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-1.
David Sweet is covering the Bank of the West Tennis Classic at Stanford University for Tennis Panorama News July 9 -15, 2012. Follow his live updates on @tennisnewsTPN and personal twitter accountÂ @davidsweetphoto, and â€˜likeâ€™ his Facebook page â€œDavid Sweet Photography.â€ â€˜Likeâ€™Â the Tennis Panorama News Facebook page.
BANK OF THE WEST CLASSIC
Stanford, CA, USA
July 9-15, 2012
Results – Monday, July 9, 2012
Singles – First Round
(5) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d. Chang Kai-Chen (TPE) 75 26 75
(6) Chanelle Scheepers (RSA) d. (Q) Grace Min (USA) 64 64
Heather Watson (GBR) d. Sloane Stephens (USA) 76(5) 46 61
(LL) Coco Vandeweghe (USA) d. Melinda Czink (HUN) 64 61
(WC) Michelle Larcher de Brito (POR) d. Jarmila Gajdosova (AUS) 57 62 63
Doubles – First Round
(4) Chan/Chan (TPE/TPE) d. (WC) Kalhorn/Parra (USA/USA) 60 60
Daniilidou/U.Radwanska (GRE/POL) d. Lee-Waters/Moulton-Levy (USA/USA) 67(4) 64 102 (Match TB)
Cirstea/Keothavong (ROU/GBR) d. Glatch/Zheng (USA/CHN) 46 64 106 (Match TB)
Order Of Play – Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Stadium (from 11.00hrs)
1. Nicole Gibbs vs. Noppawan Lertcheewakarn
2. Marina Erakovic vs. Jana Juricova
3. Eleni Daniilidou vs. Urszula Radwanska
4. Cibulkova/Husarova vs. Dekmeijere/Lertcheewakarn
5. Mallory Burdette vs. Anne Keothavong (NB 19.00hrs)
6. Vania King vs. Sorana Cirstea
Court 6 (from 11.30hrs)
1. Chang/Scheepers vs. Kops-Jones/Spears
2. Erika Sema vs. Alexa Glatch (NB 12.30hrs)
3. Ayumi Morita vs. Zheng Saisai
4. Karatantcheva/Sema vs. Erakovic/Watson