(March 23, 2014) Juan Martin del Potro announced on his Facebook page on Sunday evening that he will be undergoing surgery on his left wrist on Monday, March 24, 2014 . Here is the announcement on his Facebook page:
Les quiero contar que luego de un período de tratamiento médico conservador, en el que probamos alternativas para que pueda ser competitivo en una cancha de tenis, y de nuevos estudios realizados hoy, mi médico Richard Berger decidió operarme para solucionar el problema en la muñeca izquierda. Será mañana, lunes 24 de marzo.
Lógicamente, no es la decisión más fácil ni el momento más feliz de mi carrera. Tengo la experiencia de una situación parecida y sé lo duro que es estar fuera del circuito, las ganas de querer volver, las semanas interminables de recuperación y también lo complicado que es comenzar a pelear por los primeros puestos nuevamente.
Como siempre, les agradezco a los que me manifiestan su apoyo en cualquier parte de la Argentina y el mundo, en los torneos, en la calle o por redes sociales. La fuerza de ustedes y mis ganas serán fundamentales en la recuperación.
Muchas gracias a todos,
I want to tell you that after a period of medical treatment, in which we tried to be competitive on a tennis court, and following new examinations done today, my doctor Richard Berger decided that I should have surgery to fix the problem on my left wrist. It will be tomorrow, Monday, March 24th.
Obviously, it’s not the easiest choice or the happiest moment of my career. I experienced a similar situation and I know how hard it is to be out of the tour, the desire to return, the endless weeks of recovery and how difficult it is to start fighting for the top spots in the rankings again.
As always, thank you to those who express their support in any part of Argentina and the world, during tournaments, on the streets or social networks. The strength you send me and my desire will be crucial during my recovery.
Thank you very much to all,
Del Potro had withdrawn from the Sony Open last week and the BNP Paribas Open with the same injury – ligament damage in his left wrist. Del Potro also pulled out of the Dubai tournament last week with the same injury.
Juan Martin del Potro Withdraws From Sony Open
“Well, my situation, it’s the same as Dubai,” said the Argentine when he withdrew from Indian Wells. “The wrist is still bothering me a lot. I signed up for doubles here to try before singles how I’m feeling, and I played yesterday and I didn’t feel really well.
“I’m not feeling 100%, and I’m not in good conditions to compete and to try and to win the tournament.
“I mean, I always like to feel good and feel the chance to win the tournament, and I’m not feeling that. The wrist is still bothering me a lot, and my doctors tell me to wait ten more days doing the treatment and do everything possible to play in Miami.
“That’s what is my focus now. I will have the next ten days for do the same treatment, the same exercises, the same rehabilitation, and try to get in Miami much better than here and see what could happen in that tournament.”
“The problem start in Melbourne,” Del Potro said. Yeah. In my first round in Melbourne, yeah.
“And after that match is painful all the time. I couldn’t spend time without the pain after Melbourne.”
Del Potro underwent surgery on his right wrist back in 2010, the year after he won his first and only major the US Open and was off the tour for eight months.