By Brad Hunter
- Following along on Twitter has benefits- during the tournament @memphistennis hid free tickets around the grounds and then tweeted the clues for followers to read/discover like @jameyyoo
- The biggest weapon of a stroke I saw this past weekend?- not Milos Raonicâ€™s serve, though it would be second… Sam Querreyâ€™s forehand.
- del Potro hit the most consistent â€œbig ballâ€ off the ground
- Roddickâ€™s sometimes criticized slice backhand was golden for him this past weekend as a get out of jail shot for him against Hewitt and del Potro, and a wicked approach shot against all 3 of his last opponents
- TV does not show how strong these athletes are: Milos Raonic looks really tall and kind of thin on TV but In person he looks like a cross between a high jumper and triathlete
- Magdalena Rybarikovaâ€™s game reminds me a bit Martina Hingis with a powerful serve and forehand- she also likes to mix-up her backhand with off pace and slice and drop shots
- When asked if she felt like she had to play the power game common in the top ranks of womenâ€™s tennis, Rybarikova said yes â€œagainst the top 30 playersâ€ while mentioning the â€œmodern, fastâ€ games of Kvitova, Clijsters and Serena Williams
- Andy Roddick is razor sharp in news conferences and interviews- he exemplifies that phrase â€œsay what you meanâ€
- The womenâ€™s doubles final was not 4 singles players playing doubles- it was poaching, volleying, forward movement, crowding the net and the crowd loved it Â O. Govortsova/ A. Kudryavtseva def. A. Hlavackova/L. Hradecka 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
- Just before the menâ€™s singles, the menâ€™s doubles final gave the crowd a fantastic final– Butorac/Rojer showed fighting guile and came up with some ridiculous shots but couldnâ€™t maintain that high level and lost to rock solid Nestor/Mirnyi 6-2, 6-7(6), 10-3
- After losing in the singles finals, Raonic and Marino had great perspective and humor in their on-court interviews and in the news conferences- both of them had the crowd and media laughing and smiling… like two old pros
Last weekend Brad Hunter covered the Cellular South Cup and Regions Morgan Keegan Championships in Memphis for Tennis Panorama News. Follow him on twitter @bradhunter.